What is glucomannan powder?
Glucomannan is a polysaccharide (complex sugar) made from the konjac root. It is used as a fiber. It works in your digestive tract by absorbing water to form a bulky fiber.
Glucomannan is said to be the richest source of fiber and is very low glycemic.
Glucomannan has the highest molecular weight and strongest viscosity among any dietary fiber known to science.
(Molecular weight between 200,000-2,000,000 Daltons)
Glucomannan can absorb up to 200 times its weight in water.
Glucomannan can create a highly viscous gel from 20,000 to 40,000 cp.
Glucomannan can form a reversible or a thermo-non-reversible gel.
Food made with konjac root powder has been used in Asia for centuries. They are used in noodles, tofu, etc.
Glucomannan Powder Health Benefits
- Slows the absorption of sugar
- Slows the absorption of cholesterol
- Helps to control blood sugar levels
- Helps to reduce cholesterol levels
- Helps with constipation
- Helps with weight loss
- Helps with type 2 diabetes
Glucomannan Powder Nutritional Information
5 gram of glucomannan powder only contains 5 g of fiber and nothing else!
I buy my glucomannan powder from Vitacost.
Some recipes using glucomannan powder:
- Low Carb Chocolate Chips Cake Batter Smoothie
- Low Carb German Chocolate Smoothie
- Low Carb Pancakes with Apricot Sauce
- Low Carb Strawberry Banana Dessert Smoothie
- Hot Vanilla Bean Low Carb Smoothie
- Grain Free Low Carb Lemon Bars
Sources for Glucomannan powder: